The City Pillar Shrine was built in B.E. 2325 (1782) in the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke Maharaj (Rama I) who issued the royal command to erect the City Pillar (Tall), a wooden pole made from Javanese Cassia with sandalwood exterior and lotus-shaped top, on 21 April B.E. 2325 (1782), in the middle of the new capital of “Krung Rattanakosin in Ayothaya” or what is now called “Bangkok”. It became a revered place for Thai people until the reign of Phra Chom Klao Chao Yu Hao (Rama IV) who issued a royal command to establish a new City Pillar to replace the old one which had deteriorated over time (Big). It is a wooden pole that has a core made from teak, and an exterior made from Javanese Cassia with Song Man on top, tying the fate of the country and the Thai people who live under the royal prestige with prosperity.
In B.E. 2525 (1982), Phra Bat Somdet Phra Borom Chanakathibet Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej Maharat Boromnajbophit proceeded to the City Pillar Shrine to attend the 200-year celebration of Krung Rattanakosin. For good fortune of the capital according to ancient royal tradition, the King issued the royal command to renovate the City Pillar Shrine to be graceful and suitable for being the enshrinement of the City Pillar Buddha. The former City Pillar was relocated to be enshrined with the current City Pillar. After the restoration, Phra Bat Somdet Phra Poramin Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej attended the celebration of the City Pillar on Thursday 24 July B.E. 2529 (1986).
In this regard, the City Pillar Shrine Restoration Committee had respectfully invited Phra Bat Somdet Phra Poramet Rama Thipbodi Si Sinthon Maha Vajiralongkhon Phra Wachira Klao Chao Yu Hua, who was His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn at that time, to be a patron in the restoration work of the City Pillar Shrine.
Also, there was the establishment of the Joss House that was built as an enshrinement of the Five Gods, which are Phra Suea Mueang, Phra Song Mueang, Phra Kanchaisi, Chao Chettakup, and Chao Ho Klong, and the Buddha Image Hall. The City Pillar Shrine is located within the boundaries of the Ministry of Defense. At the beginning, in B.E. 2480 (1937), the Ministry of Defense was assigned as its superintendent. When the Department of Fuels was abolished after World War II, the Ministry of Defense assigned the War Veterans Organization of Thailand to be its superintendent in B.E. 2491 (1948). The Organization assigned the Office of City Pillar Shrine, a special unit of the Organization, to take care of the City Pillar Shrine, including the buildings and important areas of the nation. It was also assigned with taking care of the restoration, providing service to the worshippers, and maintaining the benefits by supporting the business of the Organization, Including, attending public charities. The Director of the Office of City Pillar Shrine is the Commander, and the Director of the War Veterans Organization of Thailand is the Chief Executive Officer of the Office of the City Pillar Shrine.
The Fine Arts Department registered the City Pillar Shrine as a historical site on 21 May 2518 (1975). The importance of this historical site is not only in terms of history, but it is also the true center of the mind for all Thai people.
The 21st of April every year is the Foundation Day of the City Pillar Buddha on which worship ceremonies take place according to Brahmin tradition.
The City Pillar Shrine is open daily for service from 06.30-18.30 and open all night on New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, and Chinese New Year.